Re: oil industry in Russia

Dave Allen and I put together workshop materials for pollution prevention
in petroleum refining for the Illinois EPA.  They consist of overhead
pages with accompanying speaker's notes for each overhead and are meant to
cover a 12-hour workshop.  You should be able to get a copy from Tom
Wallin at 217-785-8387.  There's an extensive bibliography at the end of
the package for p2 in refining.  I think these materials are free.

A really good source for p2 in refining info is API's "Waste Minimization
in the Petroleum Industry:  A Compendium of Practices."  It covers
exploration and production as well as refining and it's just got a lot of
really practical information.  API is in Washington DC and the report
number on my copy is 849-00020, but I believe they've changed their
numbering system so that might have changed.

It's important to recognize that refineries are enormously complex with
interrelated streams.  Also, each refinery is unique - the crude, the
product slate, the age of the refinery, and a whole bunch of other factors
make it impossible to apply successful p2 techniques from one refinery to
refineries in general.  Except for things like reducing solids loading to
the WWTU and reducing fugitive emissions....

At any rate, I would point at least the workshop materials (because they
are free and I'm assuming your contact is strapped for cash) and possibly
the API document to your contact in Russia.

Good luck.

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264