Re: P2 Opportunities in New Construction

> Babette Neuberger asked (in part):
> I'm looking for information pertaining to pollution prevention opportunities
> in the new construction of buildings.

Babette --

Take a look at:

http://p2.pnl.gov:2080/DFE/

Pacific Northwest National Lab (my employer) has developed a design methodology
and training for US Dept of Energy which is applied to the design of new
buildings and facilities. This web site includes information on these
techniques, references to other DfE and construction resources, and downloadable
software for identifying potential design strategies which will help in doing P2
during construction and the latter stages of building operation and
decommissioning (when the majority of environmental impacts occur).

Also, you might want to contact either of the two following individuals, who do
a lot of consulting in this field and have developed guidebooks on P2 during
construction phases:

        Debbie Allen
        River City Resource Group
        4233 SW Corbett
        Portland, OR  97201
        503-248-4550 office
        503-295-2053 fax
        dallen@hevanet.com

        Kathleen O'Brien
        Principal
        O'Brien & Company
        P.O. Box 10705
        Bainbridge Island, WA  98110
        (206) 842-8995 office
        (206) 842-8717 fax
        obrien@halcyon.com

I beleive that they are currently planning a major conference on the topic for
later this fall, so it might be worth getting in touch with one or the other.

Hope this helps.
Scott

Scott Butner (rs_butner@pnl.gov)
Pacific NW National Laboratory/Seattle Research Center
4000 NE 41st Street
Seattle, WA  98105
206-528-3290 voice/206-528-3552 fax
http://www.seattle.battelle.org/P2Online/