Re: oil industry (in Russia and elsewhere)

Slow time on the P2 network so I thought I'd send something...

Here is a list of Environmental Defense Fund (i.e., my) publications on the
tank, refining, and pipeline aspects of the oil industry.  Please email my
assistant, monique@edf.org, if you are interested in any of the
publications listed.  By the way, the API information listed below barely
covers P2 strategies, largely focusing on recycling and other forms of
waste minimization (e.g., preventing fines from entering sewers).

Aboveground Tanks:

A Survey of API Members' Aboveground Storage Tank Facilities (July 1994): A
Critical Analysis.

Testimony on aboveground tank legislation before the Subcommittee on
Transportation and Hazardous Materials of the U.S. House of Representatives
Committee on Energy and Commerce, 1994.

Underground Tanks:

"Improvements to EPA's Underground Storage Tank Regulations: Advice to
State/Local Regulators and Tank Insurers for Increased Leak Prevention,"
Conference on Petroleum Hydrocarbons and Organic Chemicals in Ground Water:
Prevention, Detection and Restoration, sponsored by the National Water Well
Association and the American Petroleum Institute, 1989.

Citizen Action: An Ounce of Prevention, A Citizens' Series on Leaking
Underground Storage Tanks, Part 2, Lois Epstein and Kathie Stein, 1990
($5).

Refineries:

Ranking Refineries: What Do We Know About Oil Refinery Pollution From
Right-to-Know Data?, Lois Epstein, Stephen Greetham and Anna Karuba, 1995
($10/$25 for the Appendices).

"A Review of Pollution Prevention Strategies for Petroleum Refineries,"
National Petroleum Refiners Association Refinery and Petrochemical Plant
Environmental Conference, 1994.

Reinventing Refineries: A Community Guide to Preventing Pollution at Oil
Refineries, co-authored with Matthew Wiener of Citizens for a Better
Environment - IL, 1994 ($5).

Pipelines:

Testimony before the Illinois Commerce Commission on Lakehead Pipe Line
Company?s Application for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity
to construct and operate a pipeline for transportation of crude petroleum
and other liquid hydrocarbons (contains a general critique of federal
oversight of oil and gas pipelines), 1996.

Lois N. Epstein, P.E.
Environmental Defense Fund (Washington, DC)
Lois_Epstein@edf.org