Green opportunity turns brown -Forwarded -Reply -Forwarded

My co-worker had this response, so though she doesn't know yet,
I though I would share it with you....
Wendy Fitzner
Pollution Prevention Section
Environmental Assistance Division
Michigan Department of Enviromental Quality
333 S. Capital
P.O. Box 48933
Lansing, MI  48909-7957
phone: 517-373-8798  fax: 517-335-4729
email: fitznerw@state.mi.us

-- BEGIN included message

It is unfortunate but the next e-mail about the way groundwood papers fall apart makes me think that
this paper is not where we want to end up.  From my experience with recycled products I have
formed the opinion that recycled products are in a transition for being accepted.  Many products
made from metals and paper are already using recycled feedstock but the fact is not advertised.  If a
recycled product comes on the market and does not act or look the same as its virgin material
couterpart, you will have a tough selling job--anything "different" has an inherent acceptability issue
that is difficult to overcome.  What I hope will happen is that more paper will be like our copy paper:
recycled but looking and acting like virgin.  People accept this copy paper without a qualm and yet it
is 20% post-consumer; 50% total recycled..  I hope there will not be a need to promote recycled, it
should just be a part of doing business and, hopefully, a cheaper way of doing business.

Lucy Doroshko, Recycling Coordinator
Pollution Prevention Section
Environmental Assistance Division, MDEQ
P.O. Box 30457
Lansing, MI  48909-7957
517/373-1322

Environmental Assistance Center 1-800-662-9278

-- END included message