Re: INFOTERRA: HCl + H2SO4 pickle liquors waste mgmt with zero discharge requirement

Has the firm examined the use of acid recovery systems using diffusion
dialysis such as those manufactured by Zero Discharge, Inc.?  The systems
have been installed in a variety of acid recovery operations and typcially
are cost effective when the adopting company has difficulty with spikes in
its discharge.  Zero Discharge can be reached at 413-593-5477.

One cautionary note on the beneficial reuse of pickling sludge -- depending
upon the alloy content of the wire being pickled, the sludge may contain
heavy metals at sufficient enough concentration to be of a concern (e.g. Cr,
Ni, etc).

 Its really amazing to me that we are still using an acid process to perform
what could be accomplished using a physical process.  The pickling proces's
cheif purpose is to remove scale, oils, and (in some cases) the metal oxide
layer.  Has anyone seen a mechanical system that could meet these
performance criteria without using acids?

Tim

Timothy J. Greiner
Greiner Environmental
2 Emily Lane