Re: Green opportunity turns brown

At 01:26 PM 8/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>It has come to my attention that one of the suppliers of post-consumer
>paper is no longer going to offer the paper for sale.  International
>Paper, which produces both Unity (Hammermill) and Incentive 100
>(Springhill) paper is discontinuing these lines.  These paper products
>are preferred because they contain 100% recycled, 50% post-consumer paper
>content, and the paper used is produced using secondarily chlorine free
>process.  The paper works well in fax, printer, and copy machines.
>Information I have received indicates that the IP mill in Pennsylvania,
>which produces the paper, is in substantial compliance with environmental
>regulations.
>
>I am concerned that this supplier of environmentally preferrable paper is
>planning to discontinue these lines starting October 1st.  This will
>impact the good work we all pursue in terms of "walking our talk" with
>the purchasing of green alternatives.
>
>If you share this concern, write to:
>
>	Rick Smith, Vice President
>	Printing and Office Paper
>	Hammermill
>	6400 Poplar Avenue
>	Memphis, TN  38197
>
>and let him know!
>
>Margaret Nover
>Portland Pollution Prevention
>
>PS.  Wish I had an email address for Rick, but I don't.

******************************
Is it possible that the reason why the product line is being discontinued,
is because people do not purchase it.  Maybe encouraging others to purchase
the material will help create a market, and then this becomes a wise
business decision for the company to continue making what the market wants.

Michael R. James
1004 Lime Rock Drive
Round Rock, TX  78681
512-244-3631