Re: Green opportunity turns brown

I don't think anyone on this list should condemn
themselves for not working hard enough to promote
the Hammermill Unity paper.   Several
local, regional and national groups tried to encourage
citizen and government purchases of this paper.

The real problem is that paper companies give too little effort
to ADVERTISING, MARKETING, AND AGGRESSIVELY
BROKERING paper products which have better
environmental characteristics.   I don't recall
seeing International Paper ads for the Hammermill
Unity line of paper....)

Was the Hammermill Unity paper accessible to
consumers?   Was it stocked in office supply
stores?   I don't ever remember seeing it there.

Many preferable products are
not promoted or stocked aggressively.

A few do-gooders can't begin to match the
negative effect of sexy corporate advertising which
encourages people to buy chlorine-bleached paper,
plastic junk, gas-hog vehicles, chemical foods,
and every other glossy, colorful, wasteful piece
of nonsense our degenerate culture dreams up.

It just happens that International Paper
Company (one of the world's largest paper
corporations) is NOTa friend to the totally-chlorine-free
paper movement.    They are one of the most
pushy companies BLOCKING citizen efforts.

It's ironic that so many environmentalists
worked so hard to promote Hammermill Unity
paper as a processed chlorine free product.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if IP is closing
this one mill to try to make the (false) point that "the
consumer doesn't want recycled  or non-chlorine
products," in order to undercut citizen efforts
to build consumer awareness.

Unfortunately, the public buys what they're told
to buy, and they can only buy what's available.

Is it possible that the reason why the product line is being discontinued,
is because people do not purchase it.  Maybe encouraging others to purchase
the material will help create a market, and then this becomes a wise
business decision for the company to continue making what the market wants.

Michael R. James
1004 Lime Rock Drive
Round Rock, TX  78681
512-244-3631
512-244-0853 fax
jamesem@io.com

Rebecca Leighton Katers
Clean Water Action Council of N.E. Wisconsin
2220 Deckner Avenue
Green Bay, WI 54302
Phone:  414-468-4243
Fax:  414-468-1234