RE: Slag Abrasives

Mike,

It is my understanding that the slag abrasives are harder than sand and
therefore less prone to degradation.  Sand may be used one to three
times while slag may be used two to four times (there are just ballpark
numbers - actual reuse depends on the hardness of the abrasive, the
material being stripped, and the design of the stripping equipment).
This extra hardness also results in less dusting.

On the down-side, the slag may contain heavy metals such as copper or
nickel depending on its source.  If the slag fails TCLP, then the user
is buying one big pile of future hazardous waste.  Is the slag vendor
comparing his/her product to commercial blasting sand or to beach sand ?
House painters will sometimes use beach sand because it is cheap (i.e.,
free).  This can result in health problems because of the contaminants
present.  I am not a toxicologist, but I believe there is a greater risk
of silicosis with beach sand than there is with a commercially graded
product.  It has to do with particle size and shape.

Hope this helps,
Mike.callahan@jacobs.com