Re: PVC production

You asked about clean production of PVC and that you are interested in
assessing its environmental impacts, and I think I can help with the
environmental impacts part of your question.

The environmental impacts of PVC are partly tied up in the chlorine
chain -- I think you might find several articles in the first few issues
of the Journal of Industrial Ecology interesting.

Incineration at end-of-life is a concern because of the potential for
dioxin releases.  A manufacturer's group called CAMP, Inc. in Cleveland,
Ohio has done and is doing a lot of projects on PVC-related issues and I
think you should contact Joe and Mary Chadbourne -- they are really
knowledgeable and should be able to help you.  They are at
voice 216/543-7303
fax 216/543-7160
e-mail mary.chadbourne@camp.org or joseph.chadbourne@camp.org

There's a major, global conference on vinyl coming up soon in Cleveland.
Mark Leskey at 330-376-6500 is the contact for that -- sorry but I don't
have anything but his phone number.  I understand it's a manufacturer's
conference.

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264