Re: Slag Abrasives

This slag abrasive sounds like a product being
marketed in Neenah, Wisconsin, by a company called Minergy
Corporation.

They just built a 1,000 ton per day incinerator
to burn sludge from 6 different pulp and paper
mills in the vicinity of Neenah.

They call it a "Glass Aggregate" plant and intend
to market tiny granules produced under a
priopriety process from the waste slag at the
bottom of the incinerator.

Our group is challenging this plant in court
because it is built on top of Public Trust lands
(fill land in a public water body.)   We are also
opposed to this as a major new source of toxic
air pollution in an already polluted area.

And finally, we're concerned about potential
contamination which could end up in the "glass
aggregate" from the waste paper sludges.   Some
of the paper companies are deinking plants where
the inks, dyes, pigments and coatings are removed
from incoming waste paper to be recycled, and
these contaminants could result in contamination in the
slag of the incinerator.   Some of the sludge
comes from chlorinated paper bleaching or
delignification processes, and could leave
chlorinated organic chemical residues on the
slag.

I'm not so sure this kind of granule would be
healthy for sand blasting workers to breathe
either.   Besides, the slag results from melted
clays (glossy paper coatings) turned into silica-based glass ----
which might also produce silicosis in workers.