Re: P2 Lesson

At 10:08 AM 9/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I have just started working on a lesson for middle school kids
>and need some
>>information. I am looking for some data that quantifies the
>environmental
>>impact of a typical American lifestyle in terms kids can
>understand. For
>>example, "It takes an average of four acres of farmland to
>feed an average
>>American family of four for a year" or "For every mile
>travelled by an
>>American car, $40 tax dollars are spent maintaining roads
>and bridges." (Note
>>that these "facts" are EXAMPLES of the type of information
>I want and are not
>>true statistics!)
>>
>>Has anyone seen a compendium of info like this?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>Mark Boylan
>>WASTREN, Inc.
>>22 Executive Park Court
>>Germantown MD  20875
>>301/540-5403
>>wastemin@aol.com
>>

>A comment about the type of information you are looking for:
>We often hear facts about the environmental impact of
>various activities in which we Americans engage. These stats
>are interesting and thought provoking. Our consumption of
>material and energy per capita is truly very high. However, we
>rarely hear corresponding facts about the positive results of
>US economic activity, and there are many.
>For example, how much of the world's supply of food does
>the US produce? How much of the medicine and how many
>lives are saved by that medicine? How much of the total
>amount of the world's goods does the US produce? How
>many jobs in Mexico, China and other poor countries with
>high populations are dependant on exports to the
>consumer-oriented US?
>
>It would be prudent to give kids as accurate a picture as
>possible of the effects of our activities. The high level of use
>of material and energy in the US has both positive and
>negative effects.
>
>Albert U. Tieche
>tieche@utk.edu
>615-532-8657
>fax-615-532-4937
>226 Capitol Blvd., Suite 606
>Nashville, TN 37219-1804

Hello Albert,

A good comment, but do you mean to suggest that we could not have
contributed these advancements to the world if we had not also been
wasteful of natural resources?  I just saw a movie about a large farm in
North Dakota carefully transformed to variable crop organic technologies,
and producing as much as ever under energy intrensive agriculture.
Pollutuion Prevention isn't about scaling back on production or squashing
innovation.

Janet Clark
Technology Transfer Manager
MA Toxics Use Reduction Institute
University of Massachusetts
One University Ave.
Lowell, MA  01854-2866
Tel 978-934-3346
Fax 978-934-3050
email clarkjan@turi.org

TURI has a new web site at www.turi.org or //turi.uml.edu  Featured are
projects, P2Gems, the Surface Cleaning Lab, our publications list and more.