Re: p2/energy

You wrote:

FROM: Kathryn Barwick
      Office of Pollution Prevention and Tech Development
      California Dept. of Toxic Substances Control
Subject: p2/energy

My colleague, Dave Weightman, would like to know about examples/case studies
where facilities pursued source reduction opportunities, and received added
value due to (measurable) energy savings. I will forward any responses to
Dave, or you may e-mail him directly at <dweight@cwo.com>. Thanks much.

    Kathryn Barwick               P(916) 323-9560
    OPPTD/DTSC                    F(916) 327-4494
    P.O. Box 806                  E-mail
    Sacramento, CA 95812-0806     HW1.KBARWICK@HW1.CAHWNET.GOV

My response:

Hi. I am a consultant for the U.S. Department of  Energy. I don't have an
answer immediately to your question about incidental energy savings from
pollution prevention projects, but I remember being in a meeting where this
specific issue was discussed. I am trying to remember the gentleman's name
who was working on this issue. I will do some checking and get back to you.

Meanwhile, I was involved with a project for the Department where we
solicited and evaluated pollution prevention projects. Our primary criteria
was financial payback, with waste reduction as the secondary criteria. As you
can imagine, energy savings often contributed to the financial savings. We
could probably ferret out those in which energy savings was a major fiscal
contributor. Would that be useful to you?

If so, let me suggest you make the "official" request for this informaiton to
the DOE project manager John Lum at 301/903-1384.  He could direct me to
provide you that information.

Best of luck.

Mark Boylan
WASTREN Inc.