RE: Autobody Spray Booth Odors

Richard,

What did you just do to send your e-mail ?  For months, all of the
messages received from state.pa.us have been blank.  Did you change
software or e-mail addresses ?  I note that your From address is
different that your address posted at the end of this message.  I sure
wish we could solve this blank message problem.

Regards,
Mike.callahan@jacobs.com

Regarding this odor problem, it may or may not be real.  Changing paints
from solvent to high solids or water-borne can have a major effect on
odors.  Can the neighbor see when they are spraying ?  Some shops will
spray parts outside of the booth.  The neighbor sees the spray and then
starts smelling odors like crazy.  Even a visible steam plume can set
some people off.

Perhaps you can set up an odor panel and try to determine what the
offensive compound is.  Be sure to include non-paint related compounds
such as hydrogen sulphide, mercaptan, and butyl acetate.  Try to include
people both upwind and downwind of the paint booth.

What kind of filters are they using and how often do they change them
(assuming they are the dry type).  Did they switch to styrofoam filters
as a P2 option ?  These do not provide adequate particulate removal
unless backed up by a dry filter.  If all else fails, have the paint
shop apologize for the nuisance and then offer to paint the guys car.