RE: Elimination of Lead

Richard,

The electronics industry has been a strong leader in the search for lead
substitutes.  I believe the main driver is to reduce the amount of lead
which eventually enters landfills in scrap electronic gear. I believe
the USEPA has some programs which award lead elimination in industry.  I
could probably dig up some leads on this if no one else can.

Does this facility cast the lead ?  I assume this lead is used for the
seal that allows the utility to detect if the meter has been opened and
tampered with.  If someone is casting lead, then the facility may have
to monitor these workers for blood lead levels.  This could be an
incentive to find a lead-free product.

Regards
Mike.callahan@jacobs.com

P.S. Your message came through blank again, oh well.