FWD: Substitutes for phosphorous washes/paints

Did my original message ever post? I didn't receive any responses so I'm sending
this again. If it is received blank, please let me know. Dee Lehman

-- BEGIN included message

Hi: I am attempting to answer a query regarding the use of phosphate washes.  A
steel parts manufacturer in PA uses a liquid spray wash consisting of phosphates
which is used to prep steel prior to painting.  The phosphate helps the paint
adhere to the steel. However, they are having difficulty meeting local effluent
limits. Are there any
	a. substitute products available which can be used for this purpose?
	b. Is there a different process that can acheive the same result which
is waterless and does not result in VOCs?
	c. substitute paints that can skip this washing process altogether but
results in good adhesion to steel?

Thanks for your help.

Deirdre T. Lehman

reply directly via P2 tech or

call 717-772-5160 or
email at Lehman.Deirdre@1.dep.state.pa.us
or write:

PA DEP
Office of Pollution Prevention and Compliance Assistance
PO BOX 8772
Harrisburg, PA  17105

-- END included message