Re: For the G_Whiz oil recycling guy...

Hi Jeff!

Thank you for the press release!  I met the guys from Allied Signal who
invented the washing technology in November of 1996 at the SEMA show in
Las Vegas.  They thought my product for draining used motor oil bottles
was pretty cool, and used it for Earth Day demonstrations in their
plant.  They even sold a hundred or so to their fellow employees at
their cost.

A few months later, the Cal IWMB announced the grant to FixCorp for a
dirty MRF sorting and cleaning test program.  I called FixCorp and
discussed their system.  I then called my friends at A-S, who were
having a hard time getting interest in their cleaning process, told them
about FixCorp, and gave them Mr. Delaurentiis' phone number.

So, I guess I'm the one responsible for this whole thing.

I'm glad to be helping the cause, and I'm happy that the problem of used
motor oil bottles is getting some press.  It seems to be one of the most
ignored problems in the environment.  Not even the EPA (I've called lots
of people there) has ever looked at the impact of used motor oil bottles
and the reasons nobody tries to recycle them.  My estimates of used
motor oil bottle production are a bit higher, at 3.43 billion.  My
per-bottle residue is about the same (1+ ounce), so the two figures
multiplied together show that over 137 million quarts of perfectly
usable motor oil are wasted in the United States every year, mostly in
landfills.
That's 3 1/2 Exxon Valdez oil spills.  EVERY YEAR.

Auto mechanics have known about this waste since the beginning of motor
oil.  My patent search showed oil container drainers going back to the
1910's, and a molasses bottle drainer going back to the 1890's.  It
wasn't until just recently that this problem started to get some notice
by environmental people.

On the same subject, my company has received an order for 66,500 BOB
units from the State of South Carolina, for use in their pioneering used
motor oil bottle recycling program.  They were impressed with our
product (BOB, the Bottom Of the Bottle Oil Recovery System) because it
drained the oil from the plastic whether or not the plastic was picked
up for recycling or sorted out at a dirty MRF.

One thing that a lot of people in the environmental world don't realize
is that many recyclers will take used motor oil bottles right now, if
there isn't oil dripping out of the plastic.  A recycler in Long Beach
California has a system already in place to recycle used motor oil
bottles commingled with other pigmented HDPE.  He can begin accepting
more used motor oil bottles in the mix IF the bottles have been drained
for an hour.  I did some testing recently, and discovered that 99.5% of
the oil in a bottle comes out within one hour of inverted draining.  If
anyone is interested in seeing the graph I produced from these
experiments, please contact me.

My congratulations go out to the Allied Signal folks and the people of
FixCorp.  Let's get some plastic recycled!

The G-Whiz Recycling Guy

Gerard Forgnone, Owner
Plastic Oil Products
4869 S. Bradley Rd. Ste 18B-258