Re: Flammable sand trap waste

Seems like I've heard of advanced oil/water separators being used for
this.  The simpler, smaller units aren't expensive.  Try asking a vendor
about it -- I recommend Richard Brinks of Great Lakes Environmental at
708/543-9444.  He'd be able to tell you if the water could meet discharge
or reuse requirements.  A lot would depend on how soluble in water the
organics are, but there are ways to get around that to a certain extent.
The organic layer and settled solids would still need to be disposed of,
so methods of reducing their quantity should be pursued, like sweeping,
fleet maintenance, separating exterior wash streams from engine wash
streams...  Do these facilities already use countercurrent flows, so that
final rinse water is used as wash water, etc?

Kirsten Sinclair Rosselot, P.E.
Process Profiles
P.O. Box 8264
Calabasas, CA 91372-8264