Re: Water Softening Alternatives

Carrie wrote asking of alternatives to traditional NaCl water softeners.
Newer softeners, although they still use NaCl, use much less water when they
recharge (about 30 gallons as opposed to 100 gallons for older models), and
also sample the water so they recharge as needed, rather than a preset 2 or
3 times a week whether it's needed or not. For those who don't consume much
water in their homes, this is really helpful. I'll be interested to hear of
any new improvements, also.