Re: Paint Spray Booths

A spray booth can be installed for $8-10,000 new, less if you find a used
one. One word of caution, OSHA now requires a fire suppression system in
all spray booths and immediately behind the filters. Could be sprinkler or
carbon dioxide based. This would be an extra, not included in the above
estimate. If he needs a small one and wants to continue to use spray cans,
cost should be a lot closer to $1000 than $8000. Re spray guns, have them
start out with HPLV guns or air assisted airless. Re HPLV, a cabinet
manufacturer client of mine swears by Kremlin guns (I believe they are
French- they're not Russian). Most of my auto refinish shop clients use
Binks, but there are two or three other manufacturers that make good guns
also. My source for this type of equipment is the local PPG automotive
paint supply house. Check with one in your community.

Good luck.

wjw/

wjw5@psu.edu

Warren J. Weaver
PENNTAP
227 W. Market St.
York, PA 17401

ph: (717) 848-6669

fax: (717) 854-0087

website: www.penntap.psu.edu

>We want to recommend installation of a paint spray booth to a steel fabricator
>(job shop) who currently uses aerosol paint cans. Can someone recommend a
>starting point to get some cost estimates for installing a booth with intake
>and exhaust air filters. Also, a source of selecting appropriate type of spray
>guns/system would also be appreciated.
>Thanks.
>
>Marvin Fleischman, Industrial Assessment Center, Department of
>Chemical Engineering, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
>40292, 502/852-6357, FAX:502/852-6355, email:m0flei01@ulkyvm.
>louisville.edu

wjw5@psu.edu

Warren J. Weaver