Oil BMP - source reduction at Iron&Steel Mills

   Dear Bill,

   Please call me at the number listed below.  R. H. Sheppard of Hanover,
   PA, a foundry, successfully separated their oil from coolant water
   then uses the oil (I think blended) to heat their building.

   I can't answer your question about BMP's and will defer to others.

   Jo Anne Hollash
   PA DEP - OPPCA
   14th Floor RCSOB
   P. O. Box 8472
   Harrisburg, PA 17105-8472
   717-787-0121
   hollash.joanne@a1.dep.state.pa.us

   Please visit our website at     http://www.dep.state.pa.us

   Subject: FW: Oil BMP - source reduction at Iron&Steel Mills (oil into
   process waste water)

   Hello, I am working in the I&S sector and regularly receive requests
   for BMP, pollution prevention or source reduction techniques related
   to reducing oil in steel plant's waste water.  My initial contacts
   with I&S Env Mgrs have indicated that the plants do not have
   documented BMP.  BMPs are not normally found as special requirements
   in NPDES permits for this sector.  Since I&S plants are well known for
   oil usage (discharge and consumption), I am finding it hard to believe
   that there are no established BMPs for this sector.  Rather than
   reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd try the P2 network (which I recently
   joined).

   Any suggestions on who to ask or where to go next would be greatly
   appreciated.
   Thanks!
   Bill Pioli