Re: LESS TOXIC ANTIFREEZE -Reply

My understanding is that ethylene and propylene glycol have similar
BOD levels, so neither can go directly to POTW.

The advantage that I am gathering is toxicity to mammals (cats, children)
if children/animals  might like the sweet taste of ethylene glycol.

I have also gathered from research that additives to the antifreeze may
compromize the low toxicity of the propylene, but that's all the detail I
have on that angle.

I also know a facility here in Texas that uses the propylene and they
recycle as the previous message suggested (closed-loop on vehicle).

Finally, if interested i have a life cycle assessment comparing the two
glycols (somewhere ... I'd have to dig for it).

Susan Roothaan, Engineer
Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission, MC-112
Office of Pollution Prevention and Recycling
PO Box 13087
Austin, Texas  78711-3087
phone: (512) 239-3186
fax: (512) 239-3165