Re: State Voluntary P2 Programs

At 09:21 AM 12/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I am interested in learning of states that have
>VOLUNTARY pollution prevention programs.
>These programs may be keyed to TRI chemicals,
>but not necessarily.

Bob,

Both Farm*A*Syst and Home*A*Syst are totally voluntary P2 programs.  We have
had excellent response from farmers on using our materials to reduce or
eliminate pollution risk on their operations.  While we don't work with
TRI's we do address a wide range of sources of toxics(pesticides, petroleum
storage, haz waster); nitrates (manure, fertilizer, septic tanks) and
microorganisms (livestock, septic tanks) on the farm or ranch.  There are 47
state Farm*A*Syst programs and if I am reading your email address correctly
it looks like you are in South Carolina.

The SC FAS coordinator is:

Bill Yates
CSREES
Clemson University
145 Poole Agricultural Center
Clemson, SC 29634-0313
Ph: 864-656-3384
Fax: 864-656-5819
Emai:l byates@clemson.edu

Bill would be a good person to talk with about how they reach farmers and
encourage them practice P2 on the farm.

We have an extensive website with lots of examples of program materials and
delivery strategies from around the country.  The URL is:
http://www.wisc.edu/farmasyst

We just started a similar program to provide informaton and assessment
materials on Household P2.  YOu can access information and state HAS
coordinators through the above website, also.

        ==================================
         Liz Nevers
         Nat'l Farm*A*Syst / Home*A*Syst Programs
         B142 Steenbock Library
         550 Babcock Drive
         Madison, Wisconsin 53706

         Phone: 608-265-2774