Sawdust

    All,

    Virgin hardwood sawdust is frequently used for animal bedding.
    Sawdust from soft woods is not, in addition to sawdust from
    non-virgin (composite) types of wood waste (particle board,
    veneered wood, plywood, etc.) or preserved woods.

    This issue has created some differences between Department
    environmental programs on management of non-virgin wood waste.
    (PLEASE NOTE: WHEN I SAY "NON-VIRGIN" I'M NOT INCLUDING PRESERVED
    WOOD WASTE CHEMICALLY TREATED WITH CREOSOTE, CHROMIUM COMPOUNDS,
    ETC.)

    Solid Waste folks tends to be more liberal with lumping virgin and
    non-virgin wood wastes together for most re-use options.  One
    catch is that the composite woods should be in relatively small
    proportions to virgin wood.

    Air Quality does not like to see composite woods burned but will
    okay virgin wood fired boilers.

    Water Quality folk seem to get involved only if composite woods
    are re-used in settings with exposure to the environment and
    sampling shows leaching of chemical constituents.

    Also note: Farmers use spent animal bedding as a soil
    conditioner/fertilizer...i.e. it ends up in the fields for growing
    crops.  Even if the cows do or don't pick up contaminants, some
    crops might, or they may end up in ground water.

    Ric
    illig.richard@a1.dep.state.pa.us