Re: Reducing phosphorous from industrial point sources

Cindy,
In addition to the sectors you mentioned and those that Mike
Callahan mentioned, the food processing sector also uses significant
amount of phosphate in the form of sodium tripolyphosphate.  It's
added to poultry and other foods (I think to aid in water
retention).  Also trisodium phosphate (TSP) is commonly used in the
food industry as a cleaner/sanitizer.  Phosphate compounds are also
widely used as boiler treatment chemicals.  Hope this helps.  I'll
try to track down some additional references to support your
presentation.

> Date:          Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:10:51 -0500 (EST)
> From:          Cindy McComas <CMCCOMAS@mntap.sph.umn.edu>
> To:            "'P2 Tech'" <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
> Subject:       Reducing phosphorous from industrial point sources

> In February, I have to give 2 presentations on the subject of "identifying
> sources and P2 opportunities from industrial operations for phosphorous".
> am aware that the largest point sources may be from dairy, cleaning
> (phosphoric acid), and phosphatizing operations.  I have some references,
> but suspect there is more out there.  Please let me know if you have or are
> aware of other sources of information on this topic.  Thanks!
>
> Cindy McComas
> MnTAP
> 1313 5th St. SE, Ste 207
> Mpls, MN 55414
> 612/627-4556
> 612/627-4769 (fax)
> mccom003@tc.umn.edu

David Williams
NC Division of Pollution Prevention & Environmental Assistance
P.O. Box 29569
Raleigh, NC 27626-9569
Tel:  (919) 715-6527
Fax:  (919) 715-6794