Re: Wellhead protection

RUDY MOEHRBACH wrote:

> Jo Anne asks:
>    Dear P2Techies,
>
>    An interesting request came to me about wellhead protection and P2.
>    Perhaps some of you may have some suggestions to offer.
>
>    One of my colleagues in the Bureau of Water Supply Management (Safe
>    Drinking Water Act), sent to following to me:

>    and industries at a recent EPA regions 3 & 4 joint meeting on local
>    wellhead protection program implementation, I mentioned that state
>    pollution prevention (P2) staff might be able to provide BMP info for
>    businesses and industries and that in PA, we've just started talking
>    to our P2 staff about this.
>
>    Afterwards, the Ground-Water Technician from the South Carolina Rural
>    Water Association approached me and wanted to know if I could provide
>    her with a contact in our P2 program regarding proper BMPs for
>    ground-water protection.
>
>    I'm inquiring as to who I could direct this person to.  Perhaps just a
>    referral to an EPA contact person is all that's needed.  I gather she
>    has also spoken to the South Carolina state agency about this query as
>    well.
>
>    In case someone wants to respond directly to her, here is her name and
>    address:
>
>    Elaine H. Biber
>    South Carolina Rural Water Association
>    215 Mariners Row
>    Columbia, SC 29212
>    (803) 732-0666
>    e-mail: groundwtr@sprintmail.com
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>    As I interpret the term, Best Management Practices (BMP) does not
>    specify a technical method or piece of equipment.  Rather BMP is using
>    good housekeeping, reduction in hazardous materials used in a
>    manufacturing process, minimizing the amount of raw materials placed
>    into a manufactured product, and other source reduction / pollution
>    prevention concepts.
>
>    Elaine and I discussed barriers that may be placed upon P2 by
>    requiring only certain technologies.  Thre may be more potential for
>    greater wellhead protection if businesses located near wells seek
>    innovative P2.
>
>    Thank you in advance for your help.
>
>       Jo Anne Hollash
>       PA DEP - OPPCA
>       14th Floor RCSOB
>       P. O. Box 8472
>       Harrisburg, PA 17105-8472
>       717-787-0121
>       hollash.joanne@a1.dep.state.pa.us
>    *******************************************************
> Jo Anne,
> I searched our RLIBY database and came up empty. You might direct her
> to ENVIRO$EN$E on the Internet at http:es.epa.gov I searched under
> wellhead and came up with 26 hits. If she is unable to access the
> INTERNET, have her contact me and I will get the information to her
> in another manner. I'm sending her a copy of this message. Have a
> great New Year. Rudy
>
> Rudy Moehrbach
> [...]

Happy New Year, you may want to check with the US Geological Survey.
They have done both well head protection and groundwater protection
plans for Ft. Campbell, KY .  They will do a good job for you.  If I can
help feel free to contact me at "fletcher@campbell-emh5.army.mil"
Bob Fletcher, CET,CHMM
Manager, Environmental Training
Ft. Campbell, KY