Re: P2 and ISO 14000

There is a list server that just deals with ISO 14000.  There was an extended
string of comments on P2 not too long ago.  You can search their digest on the
Internet  http://www.quality.org/ISO14000/digest-archives/14digest.html  My
recollection is that most ISO 14000 practitioners are not paying mucb attention
to "the prevention of pollution."  It is a very minor issue to them.  They are
still debating whether an ISO 9000 practitioner is more qualified than an
environmental person to conduct an ISO 14001 project.  By the way, pollution
prevention in every other language translates into English as the prevention of
pollution.  Think about it.  Every time I see a company win a governor's award
for a closed loop system (for water), I think about all the other wastes that
this ancillary operation is causing.  If they used process mapping, they too
would see that TRUE P2 is still the way to go.  We do not need to order
companies to go there.  Those that want to stay in business will have to find
out for themselves.

Bob Pojasek
Cambridge Environmental Inc.
58 Charles St.