Re: P2 and ISO 14000 -Reply

As a way of seconding Bob's point, I'd like to repeat something I heard at
a panel session back in November, chaired by Loch McCabe from
the  Environmental Captial Network.  according to one of the speakers
(who works with a California-based venture cap firm), although P2 deals
are still but a sliver of the total "environmental technology market," P2
represents the fastes growing segment of this market.

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this statement, so I won't.
Nevertheless, this is music to the ears of those (of which I am one) who
think that the road to "success'' for the preventive approach to
solving enviromental problems will necessarily be through the
marketplace.

Ed Weiler (USEPA-Pollution Prevention Division)
Washington, D.C.
 Phone: (202) 260-2996

>>> <rpojasek@sprynet.com> 01/08/98 08:46am >>>
There is a list server that just deals with ISO 14000.  There was an
extended
string of comments on P2 not too long ago.  You can search their digest
on the
Internet  http://www.quality.org/ISO14000/digest-archives/14digest.html
My
recollection is that most ISO 14000 practitioners are not paying mucb
attention
to "the prevention of pollution."  It is a very minor issue to them.  They are

still debating whether an ISO 9000 practitioner is more qualified than an
environmental person to conduct an ISO 14001 project.  By the way,
pollution
prevention in every other language translates into English as the
prevention of
pollution.  Think about it.  Every time I see a company win a governor's
award
for a closed loop system (for water), I think about all the other wastes
that
this ancillary operation is causing.  If they used process mapping, they
too
would see that TRUE P2 is still the way to go.  We do not need to order
companies to go there.  Those that want to stay in business will have to
find
out for themselves.

Bob Pojasek
Cambridge Environmental Inc.