RE: Targeting top TRI reporters for reductions

Andrea,

Your message, coming right after Mike Callahan's message (copied below),
got me wondering....Mike said he thought that the big emitters are often
big emitters because they are big producers. But your experience in
Deleware seems to contradict the view that many of the really big
industries are likely to have already gotten pretty high levels of
efficiency, and therefore might not really be able to effectively
squeeze out more P2.

Did you find that your top 20 still had ample cost-effective P2
opportunities to implement? If it was low-hanging fruit, how come it
hadn't already been picked? Did any of your top-20 emitters move out of
the top 20 as a result of P2?

Melissa Malkin

Melissa Malkin
Pollution Prevention Program
Research Triangle Institute
POB 12194. Research Triangle Park, N.C. 27709-2194
(ph)   919-541-6154       (fax)   919-541-7155
http://www.rti.org/units/ese/cea.html

> ----------

====================
message from Mike Callahan:
Cindy,

I think you've got the wrong focus for your project.  Many of these
companies are big emitters because they are big producers.  You will
have a very difficult time achieving any success in moving a company
from 99 percent efficiency to 99+ (just an example).  Many of these
companies saw the P2 light years ago and the only assistance they need
is more $$$ for capital improvement and more $$$ for basic research. I
seriously doubt you will be able to make major savings although there
might still be some low hanging fruit lying around.

You need some type of economic indicator that tells you what percentage
of their annual operating budget goes towards P2 type projects.  If its
high, then they probably don't need your help.  If its low, then you
need to find out if its low because they have already done it or if its
because they don't have a clue.
 [snip..]