Re: Targeting top TRI reporters for reductions

Cindy,

Ohio's Governor challenged the top 100 on the TRI to join Ohio Prevention First (Ohio's voluntary program) in 1993. We now have 167 facilities participating in the initiative.

At first, it seemed the companies wanted recognition that they are already doing P2 planning without a regulatory mandate. But now Ohio EPA's Office of Pollution Prevention arranges workshops to increase business to business communication and provide assi
stance. Even though there is a large variety of sectors represented, the companies share an interest in management issues like measurement, employee involvement, energy efficiency, etc. (OPP did a survey to determine topics of interest.) You might want to
 focus on these common interests.

I can send you an article about the last 2 meetings if you send me your fax#.

I think it is a good idea to work with the top of the TRI, but you might not get the reductions in TRI that you expect. It is true that most of these companies have been doing P2 already and have already attempted to reduce their emissions. However, somet
imes companies have great programs for reducing toxics, but haven't even thought about energy efficiency or solid waste reduction. There's always room for improvement.

I also have found that the facilities have new personnel often and these workshops introduce them to P2 and to others who face the same type of challenges.

You might want to increase the number you target - some won't be interested. Involve the trade associations, chambers of commerce, etc. and get their support FIRST.

Vanessa Smith
Ohio EPA's Office of Pollution Prevention
(614) 728-1262
vanessa.smith@epa.state.oh.us

>>> Cindy McComas <CMCCOMAS@mntap.sph.umn.edu> 01/08 10:44 AM >>>
Minnesota is considering embarking on a project to target our top 15-20 TRI
reporters in the state this coming year toward reducing their releases.
 They include such companies as 3M, Koch Refinery, ADM, paper companies,
Ford, food companies, and others.  We would like to help them help each
other, and to offer what we can in the way of P2 services to help them
further reduce their releases.  Have other states taken this approach?  What
has worked?  What has not?  What are these large companies looking for from
us as P2 assistance providers? Or is there anything we can do for them?
 Your response would be appreciated.

Cindy McComas
MnTAP
University of MN