RE: Targeting top TRI reporters for reductions

The PPRC started a Pacific Northwest Shipyard Campaign in May 97 with a Roundtable in Seattle.  We brought together key people from both large and medium sized shipyards to discuss stormwater issues that were haunting their industry.  Though initially the
y were skeptical about PPRC's involvement, through the way that PPRC facilitated the Roundtable (neutrally), we were able to get them to talk to each other about  P2 activities occurring at their own facilities.
This event was so successful that we took our roundtable format to the shipyards, boatyards, and port authorities along the Oregon Coast in November 97 and then to the larger shipyards in the Portland, Oregon Region in December 97.  Both Oregon groups hav
e asked PPRC to facilitate further P2 roundtables within 6 months of their last meetings.  Again very successful exchanges of information amongst the industry players.  We have found that the intra-industry relationships and exchanges of P2 ideas that res
ult from these meetings are invaluable.  Provides real life, real time case studies.  And oddly enough, some of the best P2 tech transfe conversations take place during the coffee breaks or at lunch.  (Yes, food is very important.)

Much of the success of these forums rests on how PPRC presents itself to industry.  Our function at these roundtables is NOT to be the industry P2 expert per se, but to facilitate the forming of valuable relationships and making people feel comfortable en
ough to share successes and failures in this setting with government regulators and competitors present.  PPRC neutrality is invaluable.  As the meeting facilitator and organization technical director, I come prepared with P2 technical tid bits, new techn
ologies, or potential case studies which serve as catalysts for discussions.

Just this week, I got a call from the environmental manager from the largest shipyard in Alaska who wanted to know if we were going to host a roundtable with Alaskan shipyards or if he could participate in our next Seattle meeting.  Word gets around quick
ly, when you start meeting industry's needs.

If you would like more ideas and opinions on how we conduct roundtables, let me know.

Chris Montovino
Technical Director
Pacific Northwest Pollution Prevention Resource Center
1326 Fifth Avenue, Suite 650
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone: 206-223-1151
FAX: 206-223-1165