Re: (All) Waste Prevention Technology

At 06:52 AM 1/9/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Can anyone provide me with some examples of marketable technology that is
being
>used to PREVENT waste?  I am looking for examples that do not simply shift
the
>waste to another medium (e.g., closed loop systems that eliminate
wastewater but
>have an evaporate that is a hazardous waste or ultrasonic cleaners that
replace
>solvent but create a new wastewater stream).  I am also looking for examples
>that do not significantly increase energy use or create a safety problem
(e.g.,
>critical fluid carbon dioxide).  Are there any references that examine this
>topic?  I will provide a summary to this list of any responses I receive
to this
>query.  Thank you.
>
>Bob Pojasek
>Cambridge Environmental Inc.
>58 Charles St.
>Cambridge, MA 02141
>(617) 225-0812
>(617) 225-0813 FAX
>rpojasek@sprynet.com
>http://www.CambridgeEnvironmental.com

Hi Bob,

How about no-clean solder technologies, electroless plating, non-cyanide
plating, low-voc inks and coatings, efficient spray nozzles, dry machining
equipment, etc.  Does non-chlorine bleaching in the paper industry meet
your criteria?  Does your assessment of energy use include that used in the
manufacture, transport and disposal of the toxic chemical replaced?

Janet Clark
Technology Transfer Manager
MA Toxics Use Reduction Institute
University of Massachusetts