Re: Polystyrene (better)

At 09:36 AM 1/9/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Staff in our recycling division are doing some research regarding
>polystyrene.  Can anyone tell me the chemical makeup of polystyrene and the
>cost per pound to produce?
>
>Thanks for your help.

Hi,

According to the Chemical Economics Handdbook by SRI International, the
styrene market price was between 56 and 64 cents a pound in 1994.  I don't
know hoe to find out what it costs to make.   It is obtained through
free-radical polymerization of the styrene monomer, and may have additives
such as flame retardants, plasticizers and colorants.  The US produces 6.5
billion pounds per year or 26% of the world's production. We recycle 12%
compared to Germany at 40%. Incidentally, the styrene monomer is a suspect
carcinogen, readily absorbed through the skin.  In high dosages it affects
brain and liver function, causing death.  It is listed on SARA 313.

Janet Clark
Technology Transfer Manager
MA Toxics Use Reduction Institute
University of Massachusetts