UV Curable Coatings : P2 Technology

    I have observed one local facility (manufacturer of quality
    furniture) using UV curable coatings on select furniture surfaces
    with reportedly good results.  Facility reports also claim "no"
    waste and elimination of VOC's from operations where UV coatings
    have been employed.  (I say "no" waste since I assume equipment
    failure and perhaps some defective product may eventually be
    generated.)  The process looks pretty slick!

    I have been trying to get another manufacturer of door skins to
    look into the UV coating approach.  This facility generates about
    10,000 gallons per month of waste paint and an additional
    (estimated) 1000 gallons per month of "primer" coating waste, and
    doesn't seem to think there is a problem.  No comment on VOC's.
    Reportedly they were looking at a process called "direct roll
    application" which I use my imagination to envision...considering
    the amount of waste paint, it was difficult to believe that any
    paint ended up on the product!!

    My dream is slowly coming true since another door-skin
    mnanufacturer in the area has adopted the UV curable system.  I'm
    looking forward to learning as much as possible about it in the
    near future.  The facility reports very good results (product and
    environmental).

    Ric
    illig.richard@a1.dep.state.pa.us