Subject: Solvent issue
Author:  <p2tech@great-lakes.net > at internet-mail
Date:    1/12/98 11:37 AM

I joined this listserv as a result of my involvement in another listserv
which is directly related to my field of historic preservation. One of
the members on that list thought there might be some information here
re:state issues on solvent use reduction.
I realized after a very short time that the efforts of this group are on
a much grander scale than my original intent.
Before I un-subscribe I thought I would just pose a question and
statement about my interests.

In building facade cleaning chemicals (solvents) both highly acidic and
highly alkaline are used to "restore" a structure either on a one time
or periodic basis. The containment needs as well as some of the
undesirable results are obvious, especially to this group.
Working with a manufacturer of a non-chemical cleaning system known as
JOS which uses air, limestone powder, and a small amount of water many
of the same results are achieved. It is not a total replacement rather
an alternative in many cases. It's primary use has been international in
historic preservation but is now being used even on skyscrapers.
While some stringent VOC laws are in effect, such as Boston and New York
City (very similar) one area enforces with a vengeance while the other
virtually ignores the situation. As the limestone is basically from an
agricultural base the resultant effluent, depending on the material
removed, is non-hazadrous.
If anyone has some thoughts, or can recommend another listserv that
might be more appropriate, please let me know.

Thanks,

Pat Morrissey