Re: (All) Waste Prevention Technology

Response to Alexander Ross,

Most firms still paint many colors.  They cannot affort the cycle time hit for
cleaning out the booth between every color change.  Therefore there is STILL
much waste powder paint to dispose of since the mixed colors do not blend but
rather go on in a speckled version.  P2TECH had an extended discussion of this
last year.  It is still a problem.  For the UV cure, what happens to the liquid
that does not get on the part?

I have given some examples of entirely new processes that do what the old
wasteful processes do (Helios technology at Polaroid and etchless printed wiring
boards at Printron) with almost no wastes.  These DO NOT violate the laws of
thermodynamics as environmental engineers would suggest.  I have found that
industrial engineers and process engineers can be very good at eliminating waste
with quantum leaps in technology if we just direct them to do so.  Incremental
changes in efficiency seems to be the way we would rather see them go.  Is it
because it is safer to do this?  I am getting real curious as to why there seems
to be so much resistance to the use of technology to help eliminate waste from
certain process operations.

Bob Pojasek
rpojasek@sprynet.com