Re: reuse of wastewater

Esther Monfa wrote:
>Dear p2techs,
>
>We are studing the use of wastewater from treatment plant for irrigation
>of vegetables for human use.
>
>I would be very grateful if somebody could tell me which parameters have
>to be considered, specially in reference to the Boron (concentration
>allowed, problems,etc).
>
>Any information will be wellcomed.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help,
>

>Esther Monfa
>Centre for Claner production Initiatives
>Travessera de Gracia, 56, 1
>08006 Barcelona
>e-mail: prodneta@cipn.es
>fax: +34 3 414 45 82

The Boron standard in many wastewater treatment and pretreatment standards
is based on the level of Boron that will cause spotting on tomatoes
irrigated with water above that level.  Be sure to determine how a level
was set, i.e., whether to protect human health or some economic interest,
before applying the standard in a possibly inappropriate way.

Ralph

Ralph E. Cooper, Ph.D.
CWRU School of Law
J.D. Class of 1999
rec3@po.cwru.edu
(216) 991-6837 (Thursdays and Fridays only)