Re: City Pollution Prevention Manager

     Ric, (et al):
     Thank you for asking! For huge amounts of information on local
     governments' P2 activities, see the National Pollution Prevention
     Roundtable's website (http://es.epa.gov/nppr) and check out the Local
     Government Workgroup page.  Over 70 local governments (and friends
     e.g., U.S., Conference of Mayors, National Association of Counties,
     National Association of City & County Health Officials) from around
     the nation are on board - and it's growing fast!  There may not always
     be a "P2 Manager" at the local government level, but there are great
     P2 things happening in lots of local governments!  And by the way,
     borrowing from what other local and state folks around the country
     have been doing, we in Ohio (City of Cincinnati, Institute of Advanced
     Manufacturing Sciences, Ohio EPA Office of Pollution Prevention and
     Ohio EPA Southwest District Office - with some funding assistance from
     the Ohio Environmental Education Fund) have just partnered to create
     "The Southwest Ohio Local Government Pollution Prevention
     Collaborative".  First meeting of the collaborative was two weeks ago
     and we had over thirty local governments from all over Southwest Ohio
     in attendance.  Counties, cities, townships, etc. - large and small.
     Our meetings are monthly, with two training sessions, the first of
     which will be in February.  Ohio EPA (and all of us) hope this will be
     a successful pilot that will be self sustaining after the first year
     and can be replicated in the other regions of Ohio (and beyond).

     Regarding your other questions: I think most of us include energy
     conservation and efficiency in our P2 activities; for detailed
     examples of Local P2 programs and activities see "Preventing Pollution
     in our Cities and Counties - a Compendium of Case Studies" (available
     through the NPPR) which provides information on 19 case studies -
     large and small local governments with varying structures and
     approaches to P2.  In addition, the NPPR's Local Government Workgroup
     also has a user friendly Matrix Chart of Local Government P2
     Activities (not yet but soon to be on the website) with over 40 local
     governments and their P2 activities listed.  Email me if you are
     interested in receiving that document.

     J. Bruce Suits
     Pollution Prevention Manager
     Office of Environmental Management