RE: Size of Market for P2 Services?

I would disagree about the comments that manufacturers are not will to
pay for P2 services.  Many, particularly the large and "larger" middle
sized companies have active P2 programs with full time people who are
either fully dedicated to P2 or at least P2 is a significant
responsibility for them.  This may not be "paying for these services"
in the sense of consultants the cost of manpower is significant.  In
addition, many (most?) of these people are as or more qualified to
conduct P2 surveys and projects within their industry than the
consultants they can hire.

Don't get me wrong; there are many qualified P2 consultants available.
 However, there are many consultants who also know that this is a
viable market and want part of it.  They are willing to learn about P2
and get experience but most companies are not willing to pay
consultants as they are learning.

I think there is a significant market.  I think there is also a very
low true experience level in industry, consulting, and in agency
programs.  Look as some of the questions posed in this list server.
 They are good questions but they are VERY basic questions.  By
continued interaction the knowledge and experience will grow.  I do
think that a phrase different than Pollution Prevention which is more
descriptive of not only the environmental point (Don't create waste)
and the business emphasis (bottom line improvement "at all cost")
would aid our cause and increase general interest in P2.  Maybe Profit
Improvement thru Reduced Pollution or "PIRP".  Sorry, what we don't
need is another acronym.  What we need is true concern for the
environment and for natural resource conservation.

Thanks to those who made it through this rambling.  Sometimes you just
have to speak your mind(?).

Thanks,
Dale Francke
Pratt & Whitney,  M/S 717-03