Size of P2 Technical Assistance Base

I have been following the line on "Size of Market for P2 Services."  Looking at
this issue from another perspective a month or so ago, I had asked Warren at
NPPR to provide me with some statistics on the number of technical assistance
programs providing some P2 services (including NIST, SBDC, state, University,
National Laboratories, Agencies, county, city, etc.).  He said there are no such
statistics readily available.  Is the size of the provider base so large that
each group is not seeing enough industry support?  Here in Massachusetts, we
must have over 50 people offering free (or low cost) P2 services besides a large
base of registered "Toxics Use Reduction Planners" many of whom work for private
consulting firms.  We also have a Toxics Use Reduction Institute (along with at
least one related Institute) at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell.
Wouldn't there have to be a demand for these services to support this large
number of people?  Have we saturated the market?  Has the market shifted to
another brand name as Mark Haveman suggests?  NIST MEP centers look at
manufacturing efficiency programs as a means to reduce waste.  Any ideas?

Bob Pojasek
Cambridge Environmental Inc.
58 Charles St.
Cambridge, MA 02141