Re: Treatment of Wastewater for Reuse; Flexo Printer

Wayne-

The company should consider a membrane filtration wastewater treatment
system. To remove virtually all of the contaminants (and perhaps without
abandoning their present treatment system) they could add a reverse osmosis
system. Also, depending on the contaminants remaining after treating with
their existing treatment system, they may be able to inject a biocide into
the cleansed wastewater prior to reuse without otherwise modifying the
system. This is common practice with flexo newspapers where ultrafiltration
is standard treatment followed by biocide feed and reuse as diluent for the
flexo inks. They should check with their ink supplier for recommendations
on biocides as they may have experience in this area (Flint and Sun
Chemical do for sure).

Their present system sounds like an Alar system. My clients have found that
the diatomaceous earth used to coat the vacuum filter gets "pinholes" in it
and allows filterable solids to pass through, albeit in small quantities.
Nevertheless, it has prevented them from meeting pretreatment standards and
causing them to abandon their systems in favor of either ultrafiltration or
evaporation. Evaporation is another alternative for your client, but in
order to reuse the water, it must be recondensed, an energy intensive and
complex system-and you still need biocides as some of the volatile organics
from the ink recondense too and become a food source for bacteria. If
biocide feed is all that is needed, a small chemical metering pump can add
it to the wastewater. A proportional feed system can be set up if you want
to get real sophistocated (not really needed). Again, see the ink supplier.

I refer you without reservation to the following systems vendor who can
assist you with membrane treatment systems:

Mr. Tom Doherty
Dynatec, Inc.
909 Jacksonville Rd.
Burlington, NJ 08016

ph 609-387-0330
fax 609-387-2060

Happy hunting.

wjw/

PS: Call me (or have the client call) if I can be of further assistance, Wayne.

wjw5@psu.edu

Warren J. Weaver
PENNTAP
227 W. Market St.
York, PA 17401

fax 717-854-0087

ph 717-848-6669

PENNTAP website:
           www.penntap.psu.edu

>Would appreciate any suggestions that might help a flexographic
>printer that UW is assisting decrease wastewater:
>
>BACKGROUND:
>The company is a flexographic printer, manufacturing primarily
>printed kraft paper bags (grocery sacks, take-out bags, etc.)  All
>inks used are water-based.  The company is not connected to a
>municipal sewer system.  Only sanitary wastes are discharged to the
>on-site septic system; other wastewater must be trucked to a municipal
>wastewater treatment plant, at considerable expense.
>
>There is considerable wastewater from cleanup of the paste makeup and
> cooking operations, and from ink cleanup.  Presently, wastewater is
>pretreated through precipitation and vacuum drum to remove solids, and
>effluent is trucked to wastewater treatment plant.
>
>THE CHALLENGE:
>The company would like to increase its reuse of wastewater.  They
>tried in the past, but said that remaining bacteria in the wastewater
>caused problems with paste makeup.  Said the bacteria caused the paste
>to break down and lose strength.
>
>Any experience and suggestions from P2Tech users that might help
>identify improvements that would help company to successfully treat
>wastewater to enable reuse for paste makeup?

>Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
>U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
>610 Langdon Street, Room 529, Madison, WI  53703-1195
>Phone:  608/265-2361     Fax:  608/262-6250
>pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu

wjw5@psu.edu

Warren J. Weaver
PENNTAP