Re: List Server Evaluation

<<P2Tech is at the end of one funding cycle (don't worry, we have new
funding), and we need to do some evaluation of list server.  Please answer
the following questions about your list server use.    The more responses
we get, the better able we will be to justify the list server in the
future.  We will be compiling the information at the end of February and
will publish the results to the entire list.

1.  How often do you post messages to P2Tech?

2.  How often do you use the P2Tech Archives?  Do you find them useful?
How could we improve the archives?

3.  Enviro$en$e has offered to do another set of archives, in addition to
the ones currently hosted by GLIN.  Would you be more likely to use
archives provided by Enviro$en$e?  Is the duplication necessary?

4.  P2Briefs are a version of the P2Tech Archives designed by the Solid
Waste Education and Research Center in Wisconsin.  The P2Tech briefs
compile discussion strings and include links to possibly relevant
information and contributors.  This effort takes a lot of time.  Do you
think this would be a worthwhile tool?

5.  Based on your experience with other list servers, what could we do to
make the list server better?

6.  Any other comments?

Thanks in advance for your time!
Lisa
Lisa C. Merrifield (Morrison)			listman@wmrc.hazard.uiuc.edu
List Manager				217.244.6061 (v)
IL Waste Management and Research Ctr.	217.333.8944 (f)
One East Hazelwood Dr.			Champaign, Illinois 61820
Hi Lisa:

Thanks for all your work to manage and keep this listserve up and running(and
for securing the funding for the next cycle). I truly feel that we can work
locally and brainstorm globally through this venue. I'll respond to your
survey by the numbers:

1. I post once or twice a mont on average, but read and save postings by P2
Category on a daily basis.

2. I have not used the archives yet, am not sure how to do that. A periodic
posting from you for newcomers may make that clearer, and create more usage in
the future.

3. Duplication isn't necessary as long as the universe of interested pareties
are aware of where to go to get this info. If the cost to have these archive
available in more than one site helps, and the cost is minimal to transfer
them to a second site, then why not? Better Access= More Use?

4. This is part of my daily process. As I read the posts, I save many in
folders covering a specific P2 topic. This takes only a couple seconds more
than just deleting the post, so I continue to create my own archives and
"Briefs" on a daily basis. For other, the briefs may help alot, and get many
postings at one site. If the archives are searchable by the same key words,
the briefs may not save all that much time and are not worth the cost/time to
develop them.

5.See comment #2.

6.Thanks again!

Patrick Ferraro
The Silicon Valley Pollution Prevention Center