RE: Treatment of Wastewater for Reuse; Flexo Printer (2)

Wayne-

I agree with Mike Callahan that a UV/ozone generator would be an
alternative for biocide and may be the only alternative if your clients
products are for packaging food or drug industry products. You can probably
find some vendors in the Thomas Register. On the other hand, I doubt that
your client will be able to maintain conditions in his plant which will
negate the need for some means of biological activity control. The problem
is 1) the lapse between generation of the wastewater and its reuse, 2) the
ambient conditions of the wastewater during processing, storage and reuse
(warm, humid environment), 3) the fact that starch and the organic
components of water based flexo inks are an excellent food source for
bacteria, 4) the fact that none of the starch or flexo ink components
(other than the biocide most flexo ink manufacturers add to their products
specifically for control of biological activity) are highly toxic to
bacteria and 5) the fact that, whether continuous or batch, the treatment
process does not lend itself to complete removal of the components
favorable to bacteria at anytime during their operation.

Given this, bacteria will rapidly reproduce and can, even if you were to
start out with sanitary conditions, reach a colony count high enough to
consume most of the food source (starch, etc.) within about 2 weeks. To
avoid this and the detrimental effects of the bacteria on the client's
gluing operation, every square inch of the system would have to be cleaned
weekly or even twice per week with a bleach solution or other biocide.
Because all systems have blind spots, dead corners and other impediments to
complete cleaning (even if totally enclosed), this is a physical
impossibility. Therefore biological activity will have to be controlled
with a formaldehyde based biocide or, as Mike suggested, a UV/ozone system.

Hope this is useful.

wjw/

wjw5@psu.edu

Warren J. Weaver