Newsprint Sludge

    Kevin, et al,

    You may remember a brief discussion on the list several months ago
    about Hammermill Paper (International Paper in Lock Haven, PA)
    closing a paper recycling plant.  Although I believe they recycled
    paper, and not specifically newsprint, I figured you could
    determine if there is any applicability.

    Potential uses for the de-inking sludge may have included three
    projects, as best I remember:

    1) They burned coal for energy.  Use of the sludge as a fuel,
    mixed with the coal.  I have no information as to "why", but this
    idea was not employed.  Caution: NOT using this idea may have been
    due to subsequent approval problems with reusing the coal ash
    waste, rather than due to potential emission or handling problems.

    2) I think at one point, landfill use as daily cover was
    considered.  (In light of the fuel use idea, this was a bit funny.
    Landfill daily cover is required to be non-combustible.  At first
    glance, you'd think there would be a problem.)

    3) The use that was pursued involved blending the sludge with coal
    ash, lime, vegetable tannery wastes, and other wastes to produce
    an artificial soil.  Plans involved use of the material for
    revegetation at mine reclamation projects.  Beneficial Ash
    Management, of Morrisdale, PA, did the real work.

    Ric
    illig.richard@a1.dep.state.pa.us