Re: Red rag services

Pat,
Jim O'Leary of EPA (703 / 308-8827 ) is leading a study for EPA on
the rag/wiper/shop towel issue.  I'm sure Jim would have info on
state policies across the country.
-Wayne

> Dear P2 tech:
>
> New Mexico is the only state in the US that requires that dirty rags
> bound for laundering and reuse be manifested as hazardous waste and
> counted as part of monthly hazardous waste generation.  There is
> interest within our Dept. of Defense and Dept of Energy P2 group to
> change this regulation.  I am interested in obtaining
> regulations/guidance/policies regarding rag recycling in other
> states to help bolster our attempts to remove this barrier to rag
> reuse.  Thank you in advance for your assistance.  Please send any
> applicable guidance to me at the following address:
>
> Pat Gallagher
> P2 Coordinator
> Office of the Secretary
> New Mexico Environment Department
> Santa Fe, NM 87502
> pat_gallagher@nmenv.state.nm.us
> (505) 827-0677 (phone)
> (505) 827-2836 (fax)

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 529, Madison, WI  53703-1195
Phone:  608/265-2361     Fax:  608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu