Pollution Prevention in Chemistry Labs: Microchemistry

From:          Cindy McComas <CMCCOMAS@mntap.sph.umn.edu>
To:            "'P2 Tech'" <p2tech@great-lakes.net>
Subject:       FW: P2 Tech
Date:          Fri, 20 Feb 98 13:30:00 PST

Has anyone on the server worked with a local high/Middle school on P2 in the
chemistry class and lab.  Have they put together P2-type experiments?  Have
the experiments been implemented with success?  Who would I contact for that
information and more info? Thanks!

Catherine Zimmer
MnTAP
1313 5th Street SE #207
Mpls, MN  55414
612/627-1905
612/627-4769 (fax)

Catherine,

Good question -- and, I hope, a useful response. There exists plenty
of untapped opportunity to prevent pollution in the junior/senior
high school chemistry lab. Good resources include the following:

Laboratory Waste Minimization and Pollution Prevention: A Guide for
Teachers (Battelle, Seattle, Washington. Contact Marina Skumanich at
206-528-3307)

National Microscal Chemistry Center, Merrimack College, Andover
Massachussetts. Contact Dr. Mono Singh by calling 508-837-5000 ext.
4384, or e-mail using MSINGH@Merrimack.edu

Best to you in your efforts to clean up the labs AND educate the next
generation of scientists. Make it a GREAT day!

Doug Kievit-Kylar, Pollution Prevention Planner
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
Environmental Assistance Division
103 South Main Street
Waterbury   VT   05671-0411
phone: (802) 241-3628
FAX: (802) 241-3273
e-mail: Doug.Kievit-Kylar@anrmail.anr.state.vt.us
"Smart people solve problems. Geniuses prevent them."
-- The wisdom of Albert Einstein --