(Fwd) Re: Red rag services

Forwarded response from the Printech listserver,
operated by the Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center
(PNEAC), at www.pneac.org and 1-888-USPNEAC.

Date:          25 Feb 98 08:05:45 +0000
From:          Jeff Adrian <jeffadrian@johnroberts.com>
Subject:       Re: Red rag services
To:            printreg <printreg@great-lakes.net>

Pat:

You might look at the way states like Minnesota have handled
solvent-containing soiled shop towels. Here, if the generator takes
efforts to remove excess solvent by wringing or centrifuging, the
soiled shop towels may be transported to the laundry facility without
manifesting being required. This official policy has been in place and
working since August of 1989.

We here at The John Roberts Company have just conducted additional
tests with Jim O'Leary of US EPA as he and his team are working on
developing either a national policy or and EPA guidance document.
During the recent tests using our centrifuge we examined four kinds of
solvents, IPA, MEK, VM&P Naptha (all F-listed waste streams) and for
comparison, John Roberts' own blend of aliphatic and aromatic solvents
(Press Wash 1044, a D-listed waste). Three kinds of disposable
cellulose-based wipers, one rag-stock disposable, and our standard
re-cyclable shop towel (textile) were used in the tests.

As of this time, I am not specifically knowledgeable of when any new
EPA policy or guidance document will be ready. Hopefully, this will be
resolved soon. For more info you may call me at 612-754-4420.

Jeff Adrian
The John Roberts Company

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 529, Madison, WI  53703-1195
Phone:  608/265-2361     Fax:  608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu