Re: Pollution Prevention and Persistent Organic Pollutants

Dear Ms. Lucas,

I saw the note posted by Garrette Clark to the P2 Listserv (below) regarding P2 and POPs. You'll probably be interested in the special series on chlorine flows and the environment in the JOURNAL OF INDUSTRIAL ECOLOGY. It includes a series of papers on chlorine-containing substances and the product chains from which they originate. An article that addresses POPs per se is scheduled for an upcoming issue.

The JOURNAL has a case study on Patagonia's switch to organic cotton (JIE 1:1) and a special issue on the industrial ecology of paper and wood (JIE 1:3) that includes an extensive discussion of pulp bleaching technologies.

If you want more information, visit our web site (http://mitpress.mit.edu/JIE) or contact me directly.

Good luck with your work.

Reid Lifset

At 10:11 AM 3/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I am curently carrying out research into Pollution Prevention and
>Persistent Organic Pollutants, which are for example :
>pesticides such as DDT, toxaphene, chlordanr, heptachlor, mirex and
>the drins ;
>solvents such as perchloroethylene ;
>chemicals with multiple use such as PCB's ;
>organochlorine by-products such as hexachlorobenzene, dioxyn and
>furans ;
>PVC, nickel compounds, manganese compounds, mercury compounds,
>chromium compounds..........
>
>In the framework of that research, I am looking for successfull
>case-studies of pollution prevention applications in companies which
>have decided to use and develop existing alternatives to thoses
>pollutants, OR which have reduced their use of such pollutants in
>their manufacturing process.
>
>For example the pollution pevention application could be :
>- no chlorine bleaching of papers and fibres
>- development of organic farming
>- use of wood, paper, certain plastic instead of chlorinated plastic
>such as PVC
>
>DO YOU KNOW SUCH CASE STUDIES OF COMPANIES ?
>THANKS A LOT
>
>PLEASE, REPLY TO :
>myriam.lucas@unep.fr
>
>Myriam Lucas
>Cleaner Production Programme
>UNEP IE
>Tour Mirabeau
>39-43 quai Andre Citroen
>75739 Paris Cedex 15, FRANCE
>Tel : 33 1 44 37 14 20
>Fax : 33 1 44 37 14 74

Reid Lifset
Editor, Journal of Industrial Ecology
School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
Yale University
205 Prospect Street
New Haven, CT 06511-2189 USA
203-432-6949 (tel)