Reuse of P effluent by means of evaporation system -Reply

You might want to check out the NMFRC web site.  They have a P2 in metal
finishing guide available.  site is http://www.nmrfc.org.  You need to sign on as
a member to get to the portion that allows searching the technical papers.
Then do a key word search using words "Pollution" "Prevention" and "Plating".
  This should bring up their "Bluebook", or their P2 guide written by George
Cushne.  This guide can also be ordered.  It has extensive information on
evaporation as well as many other P2 ideas for metal finishers.

Also, a metal finisher here in Texas has recently developed an
electrocoagulation unit  that was so successful for them that they are now
selling to others.  It does not produce sludge, and uses "reverse"
electroplating to clean up the water.  I think the water in some cases can be
reused.  I can get you a flyer on the new process if interested.

Susan Roothaan, Engineer
Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission, MC-112
Office of Pollution Prevention and Recycling
PO Box 13087
Austin, Texas  78711-3087
phone: (512) 239-3186
fax: (512) 239-3165
e-mail: sroothaa@tnrcc.state.tx.us

Dear p2techs,

We are working with an electroplating company that use Aluminium for its
process.

This company discharges an effluent of 5 m3/hour with the following
parameters:

pH = 1
suspended salts = 13.000 - 15.000 ppm
Phosphorous (P) = 2.000 ppm

At this moment they are treating this effluent with a physico-chemical
treatment plant to eliminate P. The treatment plant reduces in 97% the
efluents values of P but produces 50 Kg/m3 of sludges with 35% of
humidity.

Does anybody experience about an evaporation system for this kind of
effluents in order to reuse water in the process ?

We knows that in France several companies have implemented this system
but we would be very grateful if somedy could give us further
information.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Esther Monfa
Centre for Cleaner Production Initiatives
Travessera de Gracia, 56, 1
08006 Barcelona (Spain)

e-mail: prodneta@cipn.es
Fax: +34 3 4144582