Re: Household hazardous waste & POTWs

At 01:15 PM 3/18/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Does anyone have info regarding household hazardous waste
>collections and the benefits of these to a POTW?
>
>Any leads would be much appreciated!
>
>Martha Arosemena
>Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission
>Office of Pollution Prevention & Recycling, MC112
>P.O. Box 13087
>Austin, TX  78711-3087
>phone: 512/239-3185
>fax: 512/239-3165

Martha,

If you are coming to the NPPR Spring Conference you have two opportunities
to pose this questions and get feedback.  The first is the POTW Training
Workshop on Tuesday, April 28th.  There will be discussion on outreach and
education to residential customers.  On Wed, the Household P2 section will
focus on Household Hazardous Waste.

If you can't make either I suggest you contact Elizabeth Brown with IAMS who
is coordinating the POTW training.  Email is: ebrown@iams.org
or myself (email is below) about asking this question at the Household P2
sessions.

In our Home*A*Syst chapter on HHW we alert homeowners/renters to the proper
disposal methods for their HHW.  We bring this up again in our chapter on
Household Wastewater Management which focuses on septic tanks.  Septic tanks
are even more vulnerable to HHW than POTWs.

Hope this helps.

        ==================================
         Liz Nevers
         Nat'l Farm*A*Syst / Home*A*Syst Programs
         B142 Steenbock Library
         550 Babcock Drive
         Madison, Wisconsin 53706

         Phone: 608-265-2774