Paint Booth Filters

    Mike,

    If the filters you referenced were determined to be hazardous
    waste, baking them dry in an oven would most likely be considered
    treatment.  (In my opinion) You should attempt to work with the
    solid waste division of your environmental control agency (I know
    ours will work to resolve a problem and not "bust your chops" if
    you approach them, rather than they discover the activity during
    an inspection) to clarify applicable regulations.  Potentially,
    there might be a way to categorize the activity as a "recycling"
    or "use as fuel"-type exemption.

    The presence or absence of free liquids may have a lot to do with
    the hazardous waste determination performed by your facility.
    Little "tricks" like leaving the filters in a booth until they dry
    slightly could make a big difference.  If you place the filters in
    a drum prior to baking and free ignitable liquids (hazardous)
    accumulate you may have problems.  Again, I suggest you work with,
    or at least run your hazardous waste determination past, your
    state agency for some agreement prior to putting your neck on the
    cutting block.

    Even if the filters are determined to be non-hazardous, there may
    be regulations that address the processing of residual waste by
    your facility.

    Ric